Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veterans Day

November 11
On this veterans day I am remembering Malcolm "Peppy" Daniels. In 1948 we were counsellors at a boy scout camp, he a disable vet from World War II was the chef and I,age 15, an apprentice on the waterfront.

He had been shot in the leg six times by a German Machine gunner."I thank God that guy was a trained gunner," he said, "or I wouldn't be here today." I didn't fully understand what he meant until several years later when I was in the army and received heavy weapons training. You are taught to fire in bursts of six rounds to maintain accuracy.

Thanks to all the veterans who put their lives on the line during war so we could enjoy our freedom today.

"Greater love has no one than this, to lay down one's life for his friends."
(John 15:13)

No comments: