Friday, October 30, 2009

Bob Harron

He had a knack of seeing the best in people and encouraging them. Bob Harrron. was the first sports publicist at Columbia University. At Bob’s urging a Columbia vs Princeton baseball game became the first telecast of a team sport. (April 17, 1939) A reviewer wrote, “baseball will never go on television.” When Bob retired from Columbia he came to Trinity College where he became my mentor.

God knows Bob I am still trying to be everything you thought I was.

“Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another.” (Romans 14:19)

1 comment:

Labduck said...

In early 1956 I met Bob Harron when he was a SECNAV guest on USS NORTHAMPTON, 2nd Fleet command ship on which I was a journalist seaman.
He encouraged my interest in Columbia when I competed for a Navy NROTC scholarship and when I arrived at that school got me into the University News Office for part-time employment so I could continue journalism as an undergrad. Needless to say he and my Columbia experience enhanced my life both during a naval career and after.