Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Three Boys and a Snake

July 9

At scout camp two boys and I confronted a dull brown and red snake with a vibrating tail. One boy pinned the snake with a forked stick. The other boy grabbed it and put it inside a flimsy cupcake box. In a flash the snake sprung out of the box, slithered over a bare knee to the ground and escaped. A bugle sounded and three tenderfoot scouts ran off to the parade field.

Later that summer I visited Benson's Wild Annimal Farm in New Hampshire with my parents. It was there I saw that same species of snake in a cage behind glass. It was a poisonous Timber Rattlesnake. Something told me not to tell mom.

Angels were looking after three boys that Sunday when a cornered Rattlesnake chose to get away rather than get even.

“He will give His angels charge over you to keep you in all your ways."
(Psalm 91:11)

No comments: